Sunday, April 5, 2009

Moving and Shaking

So I just finished this week's reading and I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything but what 8 and 5 year old goes to supermarket by themselves to shop and makes dinner and set the table?(pg 225). I thought that was a little too much to be real then again, you never know..

One of my goals from the flow chart was to find an internship for pharmacy. Well I was all set for a summer internship at Glenbrook Hospital in Glenview till I got an e-mail from Lisa Mitchner(Director of Pharmacy) that the program is being cancelled due to cut backs! So I was back at ground zero, so i called her couple of times, couldn't reach her, e-mailed her but the responses weren't straighforward but i finally got to reach her on friday and asked her if I could volunteer or shadown atleast twice a week or something. She said she'll get back to my by monday if not middle of the week after talking with management and hopefully she'll say yes!

I also set up two interviews for summer jobs this coming tuesday (April 14th) I'm hoping it will go well and I can finally get a job.

For exercise #2, it was a bit hard to do it, I didn't get any resistance from people that I know because I live here, not home and I didn't really get into an argument with my parents this weekend(hahah suprisingly). Therefor, the only form of resistance that I faced is when the director said that I might not be able to be in the program and she was kind of hesistant to the idea of shadowing or volunteering since no one else has done in the past. I was a bit dissappointed, actually a lot when i first heard that because i was really really looking forward to this experience and when it got turned down, I was upset. I think it revealed more of a survival fear because I've been having a hard time getting a Pharm Tech job as well and I started to think that these are signs for me saying that pharmacy is not for me and I should do something else. And usually I give up when something gets in the way, but this time, I didn't and I kept calling/e-mailing her till I got a hold of her and kept pushing for some kind of oppurtunity to experience working in a pharmacy. This is new to me and to be honest it felt weird. Because I don't insisit on the same thing with strangers or directors/boss etc. I usually settle in for what I got even if I'm not happy because I'm too scared to say what I want and disappoint them. But this time, even when the program got cancelled and had a hard time reaching the director, I kept trying and really didn't care if I came off as "annoying". I really wanted to get some sort of experience because I was sick of hearing no! This also motivated to get my lazy butt to make a resume and start applying for jobs for the summer. (Trust me, this is the first time I didn't just get upset and depressed..I mean I did, but i'm very proud that I didn't stop there). I usually give up pretty easy in life when i face obstacles and I'm starting to realize that is not a good/healthy way to deal with problems. I think i've heard plenty of NOs especially when it comes to finding a job and I was always so scared to go out of my circle and keep trying. I'm not sure what the underlying message is, but I think I dealt with it pretty good (it probably could've been better) and I really hope that I get more optimistic about things and stop giving up right away and stay motivated!!

1 comment:

  1. I like the feed back of your blog... very interesting read. don't ever give up on what you have to do!

    Ben O.

    ReplyDelete